Last night Allison and I watched the LOST season 3 finale. We also watched the episode called The Answers that was hosted by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. I will be posting Spoliers so if you did not see the episode stop reading.
The Answers: I liked how they did this recap episode, rather than the previous year’s episodes with voice overs. I have been listening to The Official LOST Podcast this season. The Official Lost Podcast is hosted by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. So I have gotten to know and appreciate their style. It was nice to see them hosting this episode and giving us “The Answers” If you missed it it was worth watching.
Season 3 Finale: This two hour episode was jam packed with action, betrayal, deaths and Jack Flashbacks. Yep, the entire episode was a Jack Flashback episode. Or rather it was a Flash Forward episode because we learn at the end that all the supposed flashbacks happened after the survivors were rescued from the island.
I read that Recap of Screen Caps blog post that I linked to the other day and every other thing they had Jack Crying, and what do we see happen her, Jack is crying. The opening we see Jack on an Oceanic Flight, he is drinking heavily. He is in first Class and wants more to drink. The Flight Attendant gives him a newspaper, he sees something in the newspaper and tears this out. The voice of the Pilot was Damon Lindelof and if you watched The Answers you would have picked up his distinctive voice right away.
Jack then tries to kill himself but ends up causing an accident and saves a woman and her son. We see that Jack’s ex wife is pregnant and still his emergency contact. Jack is a mess, he is stealing pills, drinking and he goes to a funeral of someone. He was the only one to go to the funeral, which was actually only a viewing of the body. Jack does not look at the body so we never see who it was who died. All of the flashbacks lead us to believe that this is the past. But at the conclusion of the episode Jack calls someone and asks them to meet him. It is in fact Kate and we were like “WHAT, they knew each other before the crash!” But we find out that this is after they have been rescued and Jack is using his Golden Ticket for Oceanic Airlines in hopes that he will crash again. He wants to go back to the island.
Okay so that was the underlying sub plot but what happened with….
Jin, Sayid and Bernard – They stayed behind to set off the dynamite charges and kill the others who were going to snatch the women. Sayid and Bernard nail their targets but Jin ends up missing his but does take out an Other with the gun. However the three of them are captured by 3 Others including Mr. Friendly, Tom.
Charlie and Desmond – Charlie is being beaten up by the women in he Looking Glass hatch. They are contacted by Ben and Charlie shouts to Ben and taunts him. Desmond wakes up just in time to get shot at by Patchy. Desmond dives under the water to the hatch and appears while the women are in the control room. Desmond has enough time to get hidden in a weapons room. Patchy eventually comes down to the hatch, contacts Ben, kills one of the women and wounds the other mortally. She tells Charlie the code to shut off the jamming equipment. Lucky for Charlie he is a musician and can play Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys and he taps out the code…
Jack and Company – Jack leads the rest of the survivors to the radio tower. They hear only two of the three planned explosions. Sun and Rose are concerned and want to go back. Sawyer goes back but refuses to let Kate go with him. Juliette says that she knows of a place with a cache of guns and gets to go with Sawyer. However she lied, again, no guns. Hurley attempts to go with Sawyer and Sawyer says something mean to him so he goes back to the group and doesn’t end up killed.
Ben and the rest of the Others – With the kidnap party away Ben takes Alex his ‘daughter’ with him to intercept the Losties. He reveals that he did not want Alex to get pregnant so that is why he locked up Karl. I figure it is another manipulation, Ben is full of them. It looks like Richard and everyone else stayed put.
John Locke – Locke wakes up in the mass grave of Dharma people. He picks up a gun from one of the skeletons and attempts to kill himself. He is stopped by none other than Walt. John has work to do and cannot take the easy way out.
Jack and Ben – Jack and Ben go off to talk and Ben contacts Tom on the beach and tells him that if Jack doesn’t give Ben the phone in 1 minute then kill Jin, Sayid and Bernard. After one minute three shots are fired and Jack beats the snot out of Ben. He brings Ben to the group and has Rousseau tie him up. Rousseau is introduced to Alex by Ben as Alex’s mother. “Help my tie him up” are the first words that Rosseau says to Alex.
Back on the Beach we see that Sawyer and Juliette made it without guns. But we also see that Jin, Sayid and Bernard are not dead. Just as Sawyer is about to spring into action he hears a sound and it is Hurley in the VW Bus. Hurley barrels on the beach and runs right over one of the Others. Sayid kills another one (With his Feet) and they they are down to just Tom. Tom gives up. Sawyer shoots him and Hurley asks why, “Because I didn’t believe him.” was Sawyer’s response. This time no getting sick after the deed was done by Sawyer.
Back in the Looking Glass – Desmond shoots Patchy with at spear gun. Charlie goes to type out the code, and ends up getting connected to Penny. Penny tells Charlie that the boat is not hers. As Charlie is about to tell Desmond there is a tap on the port hole window. It is Patchy outside with a grenade. He pulls the pin and lets go. Charlie shuts the door to the control room to prevent the entire hatch from being flooded. And before he drowns he writes, “Not Penny’s Boat” on his hand with his ever present sharpie marker. He puts his hand to the glass and shows Desmond. Then he drowns.
Jack and Company – They now make it to the radio tower, Rousseau shuts off her message so Naomi can make her call. However she gets killed by none other than John Locke. Jack picks up the phone and there is a standoff between Locke and Jack. Locke backs down and Jack calls the freighter on the Phone. Locke states that Jack wasn’t supposed to have done that.
Then we end with the big reveal that Jack’s Flashbacks were actually flash forwards.
Okay, couple of things from the episode.
1. – Why didn’t Charlie leave the control room, then shut the door and not drown. He had time. and even if he was unable to close the door he and Desmond would have had plenty of time to escape. The water was only coming through one hole. The other thing he could have tried was to swim to the top of the room, get a gulp of air and attempt to swim out the window, it was wide enough, once the water in the room was past the level of the window? Then he wouldn’t be fighting the rush of the water.
2. – Is Jack’s Father Alive? In one of the Flash forwards Jack refers to his father twice. Once he tells the new Chief of Surgery to call his father and if he is not more drunk then Jack then Jack can do the surgery. At this point I still thought this was a flashback of some sort. I was figuring that this was Jack’s downward spiral after the divorce and the beating he took after his tattoos. The second time was when he attempted to get a prescription for Oxycontin. He says that the script was from his father. So, will we find that Jack’s father is actually alive. We have not see the body in the coffin. I predict that we will see Christian Shepard on the island alive at some point.
3. – Was Walt actually back or was he a manifestation of the island or Jacob or even just John’s imagination?
4. – I did not see the death of Mr. Friendly coming. However there was history between Sawyer and Tom that remains deep.
5. – Who is Kate with at the end of the episode? Who does she need to get back to? I assume it is Sawyer but I do not know.
6. – Who’s funeral was Jack attending? Looked like a rough neighborhood.
7. – Is the island the garden of Eden and is that why Jack is so desperate to get back, will something happen on the island to make it so appealing that Jack would try to get on a plane and crash again? I think we may see that the island is some sort of Eden that may be destroyed when the Losties are rescued.
8. – Why did the Other’s at the beach shoot the sand instead of their hostages, was that Ben’s plans all along or were they going against his orders?
9. – Will we learn whether Alex is really the daughter of Ben or if she is not how she came to know Ben as her father?
10. – I know why the show is called LOST, because after each episode you are more lost than before.
Some other Recaps you may enjoy –
TV Squad – Lost Recap.
Are you getting BenSpark.com in your inbox every day? Sign up to get the latest posts e-mailed directly to YOU.
Copyright (c) 2016 BenSpark.com