It is time again for a contest. This time I have a great sponsor in Digital Days. Digital Days is a two day workshop for new photographers that travels around the country to 18 cities a year. The workshops have a beginner day (Day 1) and an intermediate day (Day 2). Here is the Digital Days schedule.
DAY 1 – Learn the Basics
Inspiration, Fun, Cool things you can do with Photography
* Learn about all the necessary digital photography techniques and terms, from scene modes, manual modes, ISO and depth of field, and everything in-between
* Learn how the fundamental settings affect the shot you want to get
* This session builds a strong foundation of digital photo knowledge
Taking Better Pictures
* Explore composition and subject
* Different shooting styles from landscape to macro
After the shot
* Get familiar with a basic digital workflow
* Learn some editing tricks
* Printing and sharing options!
* Create calendars and postcards. And so much more!
Plus a Live Q&A!
DAY 2 – Beyond the Basics
Hereâ€™s how to make great pictures, and what to do with them
Expanding the Fundamentals
* Brief review from Day 1
* Examine light & composition, subject, color & movement
* Advanced camera functions
* Exposure modes
* Analyzing the histogram
* Live model shoot! Lighting is set up and we have several model stations
* Our instructors are available throughout the shoot to answer your questions
* Various attendee images from the model shoot are critiqued live by our instructors
* How to organize your workstation/color calibration
* Build a foundation of digital organizational techniques
* Tagging, metadata, etc…
* Color Management
* Skin Tone
* Digital Darkroom
Plus a Live Q & A!
Now that is a pretty jam packed couple of days. Even though this event is geared toward the beginner I know it is going to be something that I will get a ton of knowledge from. I’m pretty much a guy who just shoots pictures. I don’t know all the fundamentals yet. I really think that this would be a great learning experience for anyone who isn’t a complete expert.
Digital Days is more than the 2-Day Workshop
A visit to the Digital Days website will show you that Digital Days extends beyond the 2-day workshops. There is an archive of helpful videos with great digital photo tips. There is a monthly newsletter with updates from the instructors (Phil Mistry, Leslie Fisher and John Omvik) and past Digital Days alumni. There is even an Alumni group on FaceBook. The event is sponsored by Sony and presented by Popular Photography.
Because I thought I’d have a great time and learn a lot while at Digital Days I asked for a pass and not only got one for myself but Six additional passes for my readers.
I’m Giving Away Six 2-Day Passes for Digital Days
I have been given six two-day passes for my readers. That is one 2-day pass per remaining Digital Days event. Digital Days will be taking place at these Digital Days locations.
- Palm Springs , CA – April 4 & 5, 2009
- Boston, MA – April 18 & 19, 2009
- San Francisco, CA – April 25 & 26, 2009
- New York, NY – May 16 & 17, 2009
- Nashville, TN – May 30 & 31, 2009
- Atlanta, GA – June 6 & 7, 2009
How To Enter
If you are interested in entering this contest you’re going to need to pick your best photo and post it to the BenSpark’s Digital Days Photo Contest Group on Flickr between March 15 and March 31st. Flickr is free, and the group is a public group so anyone can join and submit 1 photo to the pool. So make sure it is a good one.
The Photos will be judged by a group of online photographers that I know who unfortunately can’t make it to any of the locations. (I’m looking for volunteers to help judge, by being a judge you are ineligible to participate)
* Photos can be uploaded to the Flickr Group from March 16- March 31st 11:59pm EST.
* When leaving your photo on the BenSpark’s Digital Days Photo Contest Group specify which location you would like a Digital Days 2-Day pass for. You have to be able to attend the event in order to win.
* One photo entry per person. Winning photos will be displayed in a post so please allow me access to post the winning photos on BenSpark.com
* While I’m are not offended by it, I cannot accept photos that contain any nudity.
* Winners will be selected based on several criteria including, originality, theme, technical & artistic details, story, and visual impact.
Copyright (c) 2020 BenSpark Family Adventures